Arriving in good time for the summer, the new C-Class Cabriolet is now available to order from retailers, and alongside it another C-Class two-door model: the Coupé. Sportiness and driving pleasure have been enhanced with an updated design, digital cockpit and DYNAMIC BODY CONTROL suspension. New four-cylinder engines, some of which are equipped with 48 V technology (EQ Boost), and the Mercedes-AMG C 43 4MATIC, now with 287 kW (390 hp), underscore the dynamism of these most emotionally appealing representatives of the C-Class, the Coupé and the Cabriolet. The Mercedes-AMG C 43 4MATIC are also available to order with immediate effect in either Saloon or Estate model form.
The C-Class is being launched with new engines:
- This includes the new four-cylinder petrol engines with a displacement of 1.5 litres in the C 200 and the C 200 4MATIC. At the same time these models are equipped with an additional 48 V on-board network with a belt-driven starter-alternator (EQ Boost). When accelerating, EQ Boost can assist the engine with an additional 10 kW (14 hp), bridging the brief moment until the turbocharger has built up its full charge pressure. Other advantages include the gliding mode with the engine switched off, and the recuperative brake with intelligent engine stop when the vehicle is coasting.
- The new C 220 d has a four-cylinder diesel engine, which belongs to the latest family of engines. With an output of 143 kW (194 hp), it delivers 18 kW (24 hp) more than the predecessor model. Innovative features include the combination of aluminium crankcase and steel pistons, the stepped-bowl combustion process as well as further-improved NANOSLIDE cylinder wall coating.
- The 3.0-litre V6 engine in the AMG C 43 4MATIC now develops 287 kW (390 hp), in other words 17 kW (23 hp) more than before. The peak torque of 520 Nm is available in a broad engine speed range from 2500 to 5000 rpm.
Here are the most important new and improved functions at a glance:
- With the Driving Assistance package Plus (2499 euros incl. VAT), the C-Class features all the latest driving assistance systems, with a range of functions that is familiar from the S-Class and route-based driver support. Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist now provide even more comfortable support for the driver in steering and keeping a safe distance. The speed is now adjusted automatically ahead of bends, junctions or roundabouts.
- The DYNAMIC BODY CONTROL suspension (1071 euros incl. VAT), is equipped with continuous adjustable damping for the front and rear axle. The stepless system controls the damping characteristics individually for each wheel as it interacts with the engine, transmission and steering properties – to suit the driving situation, speed and condition of the road surface. The individual suspension setup can be determined in the three stages “Sport”, “Sport+” and “Comfort” via the DYNAMIC SELECT switch.
- The MULTIBEAM LED headlamps with ULTRA RANGE Highbeam (934.15 euros incl. VAT) feature 84 individually controllable LEDs in each headlamp. These allow extremely quick and precise, electronically controlled adjustment of the headlamps to suit the current traffic situation. New functions in comparison to the standard-fit LED Intelligent Light System (19 LEDs per headlamp) are the junction light, roundabout light, city light and adverse weather light. When no other road user is detected, the road ahead is straight and the vehicle speed is above 40 km/h, ULTRA RANGE Highbeam is switched on automatically. This produces the maximum light intensity permitted by law, which results in the brightness of the main beam headlamps only falling below the reference value of 1 lux after a distance of more than 650 metres.
- The fully-digital Instrument Display (892.50 euros incl. VAT) comprises a 12.3-inch, high-resolution instrument cluster. The cutting-edge screen design offers the three very different display styles “Classic”, “Sport” and “Progressive”. The styles can be switched easily according to personal preference or to suit the selected interior.
- ENERGIZING comfort control (238 euros incl. VAT) links various comfort systems in the vehicle. It systematically uses the functions of the air conditioning system (including fragrancing) and the seats (heating, ventilation), as well as lighting and musical moods, to create a specific wellness set-up tailored to the customer’s preferences.
- The latest-generation COMAND Online (2915.50 euros incl. VAT) offers fast 3D hard-disc navigation with topographical map display, photo-realistic 3D buildings and 3D map rotations, among other things. Comprehensive information is displayed on the navigation map: in addition to virtually real-time traffic density information, it can for example show Car-to-X warning messages, the weather, filling stations including current fuel prices and available parking spaces.
- New to the range of optional extras is an additional sound system (416.50 euros incl. VAT). With nine speakers and an output of 225 W (2 x Frontbass with 50 W, remaining five channels each with 25 W), it is positioned between the standard sound system and the Burmester surround sound system.
Source: Daimler AG