Just two weeks after the big world premiere in Berlin and parallel to the smart roadshow with stops in 15 European cities, sales of the new smart generation are now starting.
At €10,895 the fortwo has the same price tag as its predecessor, whilst prices for the smart forfour start at €11,555 – in each case with a 52 kW engine and manual transmission (incl. 19% VAT). The first smart models will be delivered to customers on 22 November 2014. The top engine – the 66 kW/90 hp turbo engine – will follow in December 2014, and twinamic dual clutch transmission will become available in the spring of 2015.
Even in the entry-level version the smart fortwo and smart forfour come with a comprehensive scope of safety and comfort equipment. This includes LED daytime driving lights, central locking with radio remote control, visual locking-verification signal and immobilizer, cruise control with limiter (variable speed limitation), exterior temperature indicator with frost warning, instrument cluster with monochrome LCD display and trip computer, and electric windows at the front.
Three equipment lines: passion, prime and proxy
passion, prime and proxy are the names of the three lines which upgrade the smart fortwo and smart forfour and provide for visual differentiation, particularly in the interior. The most important features at a glance:
- The passion line is very stylish and modern with a choice of colour combinations in black/orange or black/white for the interior. The multifunction steering wheel in leather, the instrument cluster with a 3.5-inch colour TFT display and the Direct-Steer system with variable ratio combine a high-quality ambience with functionality. Additional charge compared with the basic model: €1390
- Features such as black leather seats with white topstitching, a multifunction steering wheel and shift lever knob in leather give the interior of the prime line an elegant and classic look. Standard equipment features include Direct-Steer system, heated seats for driver and passenger and Lane Keeping Assist. Additional charge: €1990/2150
- The proxy line defines itself as an innovative trendsetter. Highlights are the panoramic roof and the seats in leather look and white/blue fabric. The Cool & Audio package provides for plenty of entertainment and a pleasant climate, whilst the Sports package with 16-inch alloy wheels is perfect for dynamic motoring. Additional charge: €3390/35001
Limited edition: the edition #1
In addition, to tie in with the market launch of the new smart generation, the edition #1 will be available for a limited period. It offers exclusive design features such as a tridion safety cell in lava orange combined with bodypanels/ body in white on the fortwo and graphite grey on the forfour. Further features include painted black 16-inch alloy wheels, sports suspension lowering the vehicle by 10 mm and a panoramic roof with sun protection.
The interior is perfectly coordinated with the exclusive exterior design: seats with upholstery in black/orange fabric, dashboard and door centre panel in orange fabric and accent trim parts in black/grey, leather multifunction sports steering wheel in a 3-spoke design, shift lever knob in leather, sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs, velour floor mats with edition #1 lettering and stowage compartment in the tailgate. The standard comfort equipment includes Direct-Steer system, Cool & Audio package, instrument cluster with color TFT display, centre console with drawer and double cup holder, reading light for passenger, vanity mirror in sun visor for driver and passenger, spectacles compartment for driver, grab handle for passenger, luggage compartment lighting and inside door openers in matt chrome.
The prices are €13,990 (smart for two edition #1) and €14,990 (smart forfour edition #1).
More safety, more driving fun: assistance systems and Direct-Steer system
Advanced assistance systems which were previously the reserve of higher classes of vehicle further enhance safety and comfort in the smart fortwo and forfour. These include crosswind assist (standard), forward collision warning (€250) and Lane Keeping Assist (€3801, standard for prime and proxy).
In the basic version the new smart models come with mechanical rack-and-pinion steering. The Direct-Steer system (€4901) with variable ratio and electric power assistance provides for considerably enhanced driving pleasure, even better handling and increased efficiency.
Practical equipment combinations: the packages
smart has combined various comfort and safety features in five practical packages:
- Building on the lines, the Sports package (€5751) underscores the car’s dynamism on both a technical and visual level. Lowering the vehicle by 10 millimetres lowers the centre of gravity for even better roadholding. The Sports package is a standard feature of the proxy line and is available as an option for passion and prime.
- The LED & Sensor package (€5101) comprises headlamps with welcome function and daytime driving lights featuring LED fibre optic technology, LED tail lamps and front fog lamps. The rain and light sensor combines comfort and safety, activating the windscreen wipers and headlamps as necessary. Standard in conjunction with passion, prime and proxy.
- With the Comfort package (€2701) every driver finds the perfect seating position. The driver’s seat and steering column are height-adjustable, the door mirrors are electrically adjustable.
- The Cool & Audio package (€11001) provides a perfect temperature at all times, great sound, telephony and navigation. The automatic climate control includes an integrated combined filter which almost completely eliminates pollen and fine dust. The Audio-System includes Bluetooth telephony and – in combination with a smartphone and the free smart cross connect app – navigation. The Cool & Audio package comes as standard with proxy.
- The Cool & Media package with automatic climate control and combined filter guarantees a cool head in clean air free of pollen. The smart Media-System comes up trumps with the 17.8 cm (7-inch) multi-touch display which supports swiping gestures and the quick navigation including traffic information. This package is available in conjunction with passion, prime (€1700) and proxy (€6701).
Further upgrade options: optional equipment
In addition to the equipment lines and the packages, numerous individual optional equipment features are available for the new smart generation. A highlight is the JBL Soundsystem (€545/595), which produces an impressively full sound. The JBL Soundsystem incorporates a 6-channel DSP amplifier (240 watt) in the fortwo and an 8-channel DSP amplifier (320 watt) on board the forfour. A total of eight (fortwo) or twelve (forfour) high-performance loudspeakers provide for outstanding sound quality: one broadband centre loudspeaker, two tweeters in the mirror triangle, two lower mid-range speakers in the doors (on the forfour additionally in the rear doors), two broadband rear-fill loudspeakers and a removable woofer on the left-hand side of the luggage compartment.
Optional equipment such as heated seats for driver and front passenger (€2601), automatic climate control (€9251), dashboard instrument with cockpit clock and rev counter (€1501), rear parking aid with audible warning (€3001) and reversing camera (€3451) offer further scope for individualisation.
As a further option “readyspace” seats (€250) are available for the forfour. These reversible cushions for the rear seats can be turned around and lowered substantially in next to no time to produce 12 cm more loading height inside, which is very simple to make use of thanks to the rear doors which open to an angle of almost 90°. A large electric fabric folding top (€990) is a further option available for the smart for four.
The success story – an idea wins through
smart is now represented in 46 markets worldwide with the brand most recently introduced in Russia. Alongside Germany and Italy, China is one of smart’s main markets. Since the market launch in 1998 well over 1.5 million smart fortwos have been produced and delivered to customers.
 same price for for two and forfour
 Price for fortwo/forfour
 same price for fortwo and forfour
 same price for fortwo and forfour
 Price for fortwo/forfour