In this year’s end-of-season celebration of AMG Customer Sports in the Mercedes-Benz museum, racers and customer teams were honoured for their successes in the motorsports season 2013. Altogether, the AMG Customer Sports Award was given in twelve categories.
Tobias Moers, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH: “What the AMG customer teams achieved in this season is very impressive. Four titles, 38 victories and eight times the first position in endurance races again demonstrate the high competitiveness of the SLS AMG GT3. My congratulations and thanks to all customer teams, racers as well as staff members of AMG Customer Sports and the HWA AG.”
Since the beginning of the AMG Customer Sports engagement in the end of 2010, the SLS AMG GT3 has achieved 121 successes. Until today, 70 vehicles were sold around the globe. In the 2013 motorsports season, the race gullwing started in 30 race series on five continents.
An overview of the impressive achievements of 2013:
– 38 overall victories
– Eight victories in endurance races
– 31 class victories
– 82 podium positions
– 217 Top Ten positions
– 27 Pole Positions
– 14 fastest laps
– 170 starts
Victory in the “Grand Slam” of the GT3 endurance classics
In 2013, especially the eight endurance classics stand out. With the victories in the four races of Dubai, Bathurst, Nürburgring and the Spa-Francorchamps, the SLS AMG GT3 and the customer teams won the “Grand Slam” of the GT3 endurance classics. This is what made the race gullwing the most successful car of this season. An overview of all endurance victories in 2013:
- January 2013, 24 Hours of Dubai/United Arab Emirates. Abu Dhabi by Black Falcon, drivers: Khaled Al Qubaisi (UAE), Bernd Schneider (GER), Jeroen Bleekemolen (NED) and Sean Edwards (GB)
- February 2013, 12 Hours of Bathurst/Australia. Erebus Motorsport, drivers: Thomas Jäger, Bernd Schneider and Alexander Roloff (all GER)
- May 2013, 24 Hours Nürburgring. Black Falcon, drivers: Bernd Schneider (GER), Nicki Thiim (DEN), Jeroen Bleekemolen (NED) and Sean Edwards (GB)
- July 2013, 24-hour race Spa-Francorchamps/Belgium. HTP Motorsport, drivers: Bernd Schneider, Maximilian Buhk, Maximilian Götz (all GER)
- August 2013, six-hour race ADAC Ruhr-Pokal-Rennen Nürburgring as part of the VLN. ROWE RACING, drivers: Jan Seyffarth, Nico Bastian, Lance David Arnold (all GER)
- September 2013, 1000 kilometres race Nürburgring as part of the Blancpain Endurance Series. HTP Motorsport, drivers: Bernd Schneider, Maximilian Buhk, Maximilian Götz (all GER)
- September 2013, 24-hour race Barcelona/Spain. Hofor Racing, drivers: Michael Kroll, Roland Eggimann (both SUI), Kenneth Heyer (GER) and Christiaan Frankenhout (NED)
- December 2013, 12 Hours of Abu Dhabi/United Arab Emirates. Abu Dhabi by Black Falcon, drivers: Khaled Al Qubaisi (UAE), Bernd Schneider (GER), Jeroen Bleekemolen (NED)
As part of the end-of-season celebration of AMG Customer Sports, the guests commemorated the racer Sean Edwards (26 years). During test drives, the Briton suffered a fatal accident on 15 October in Australia. Together with Bernd Schneider, Sean Edwards won the 24 Hours of Dubai and the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring.
Titles in four international championships
In addition to the eight victories in endurance races, AMG customer teams won four championship titles in international race series.
- Blancpain Endurance Series: Driver’s title for Maximilian Buhk (GER), HTP Motorsport. Second position for Bernd Schneider and Maximilian Götz (both GER)
- FIA GT Series: Driver’s and team title in the Pro-Am class for Sergei Afanasiev (RUS) and Andreas Simonsen (SWE). Driver’s and team title in the Gentlemen ranking for Petr Charouz and Jan Stovicek (both CZE), HTP Gravity Charouz
- Super Taikyu Series: Driver’s and team title for Melvin Moh and Dominic Ang (both JPN), PETRONAS Syntium Team
- Race Trophy Austria: Driver’s title and team title for Piotr Kraxczyk (POL), Premium Motorsport Poland
AMG Customer Awards: Prizes in twelve categories
Altogether, twelve AMG Customer Awards were given in the end-of-season celebration:
– „Best Looking Car“: BLACKSWAN Racing
– „Best Newcomer“: GAINER
– „Victory 24h Dubai“: Abu Dhabi by Black Falcon
– „Victory 12h Bathurst“: Erebus Motorsport
– „Victory 24h Nürburgring“: Black Falcon
– „Victory 24h Spa-Francorchamps“: HTP Motorsport
– „Victory 24h Barcelona“: Hofor Racing
– „Championship title Blancpain Endurance Series“: Maximilian Buhk
– „Championship title FIA GT Series Pro-Am & Gentlemen ranking“: HTP Gravity Charouz
– „Championship title Super Taikyu race series“: PETRONAS Syntium Team
– „Championship title Race Trophy Austria“: Premium Motorsport Poland
Bernd Schneider honoured for his life’s work
Bernd Schneider, AMG brand ambassador and instructor of the AMG Driving Academy, received a special trophy of Mercedes-AMG: The five-time DTM record champion and FIA GT world champion won six endurance races with the SLS AMG GT3 in 2013 and was honoured for his life’s work.
The season 2013 was very special for Schneider, who managed the challenge of the development and test programme for the SLS AMG GT3 together with Thomas Jäger. “This year, I was able to end all GT3 endurance races on the first position. I am proud of that to the same extent as I am proud of the fact that I am a racer for Mercedes-Benz and AMG. I want to thank all team and driver colleagues, AMG Customer Sports and the HWA AG. I give my special thanks to Sean Edwards, who lamentably passed away far too early.