Nico Rosberg was in action at the wheel of the MGP W02 in Barcelona today for the second day of this week’s test.
A positive day of running saw Nico complete further acclimatisation work with the KERS system, alongside set-up comparisons and aerodynamic evaluations in the morning session. During the afternoon, the team successfully completed its second full race simulation of this week’s test, including live pit stops.
Nico completed 131 laps, which equates to over 600kms of running and is one lap short of two full race distances at the Circuit de Catalunya. He will continue the programme tomorrow before Michael resumes testing on Monday.
Nico Rosberg: “We completed a great deal of mileage and that was important for me to understand more about the tyre behaviour. There is a lot for the drivers to learn about how the Pirelli tyres are performing, and about how to make them last over the long runs; it’s going to be a key factor this year in the races and I think we made good progress on that front today. The reliability was ok but everybody in the team knows we need to keep pushing to make sure we are trouble-free for the start of the season.”
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1:23.315 104
2. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso 1:23.519 97
3. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:23.978 90
4. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1:24.008 118
5. Nick Heidfeld Lotus Renault 1:24.242 41
6. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1:24.243 125
7. Nico Rosberg MERCEDES GP PETRONAS 1:24.73 0 131
8. Jenson Button McLaren 1:24.923 54
9. Paul Di Resta Force India 1:25.194 80
10. Heikki Kovalainen Team Lotus 1:26.421 58
11. Vitaly Petrov Lotus Renault 1:26.884 61
12. Tonio Liuzzi HRT 1:27.044 70
13. Timo Glock Marussia Virgin 1:27.242 66
14. Ricardo Teixeira Lotus Renault 1:31.584 26
Source: Mercedes GP