Larger wheelbase, larger track width and larger external width – these are the three most important factors behind the significant increase in space in the interior of the Estate. It has even been possible to improve the already generous dimensions of the preceding model in both the rear and luggage compartments in many respects.
Two examples in the rear seating area illustrate this: the elbow width in the rear has been increased by 51 millimetres to 1505 millimetres. Rear headroom with the large tilting/sliding sunroof installed has also improved by 50 millimetres to 1010 millimetres, and is almost as generous as in versions with no sunroof (1012 mm). Optionally the E-Class Estate can also be turned into a seven-seater: a third row of seats with two fold-out child seats is available as an optional extra.
Under normal circumstances the luggage compartment is 695 litres, but can be extended to a stately 1950 litres when carrying loads up to roof height by folding the rear seat backrests forward. In addition to the size of the luggage compartment, other key features reflecting Mercedes-Benz’s expertise when it comes to the main practical dimensions of the Estate include the load compartment sill (57.2 cm) and the through-load length behind the front seats (more than two metres).
Enhanced user-friendliness: forward-folding rear seat backrests, plus combined luggage cover and retaining net
One particularly special feature of the load compartment management system is the option of opening the standard-fit EASY-PACKtailgate automatically by using the ignition key or pressing the handle if the car needs to be loaded from behind. The innovative “quickfold” system enables the rear 1/3:2/3-split seat backrests to be folded down either from the load compartment by means of handles on the D-pillar or via the rear doors by means of handles on the C-pillars. Neither the head restraints nor the rear-seat cushions need to be adjusted beforehand in order to be able to do this and create a level loading surface. As another useful feature, either the left or right backrest sections, or both together, can be folded down. This enables the rear seat unit to be used also by passengers even when long and bulky items are being carried.
It is now also much easier to use the combined luggage compartment cover and retaining net, which is fitted as standard and is now attached at beltline level for the first time, making it far simpler to install and remove in various positions. At the same time it no longer interferes with the folding forward of the rear seat backrests.
There are six fixed load securing points as standard, along with retractable hooks for bags on each side of the luggage compartment. In addition, two further exterior hooks are also incorporated into the grab handles of the tailgate, so that items of clothing can be hung up, for example, when the tailgate is open.
Practical load space solutions: the EASY-PACK system
Exemplary load management is ensured thanks to the elaborate EASY-PACKsystem which features four useful components as standard:
• EASY-PACKtailgate: the tailgate is operated electromechanically, making loading and unloading significantly easier. This fifth door can be opened and closed at the touch of a button on the ignition key or a button on the tailgate. In the upper third of its opening range the tailgate can be stopped at any desired opening angle by pressing the button on the ignition key – a useful feature in garages with low ceilings, for example. The desired opening angle can also be programmed in via the switch on the tailgate.
• EASY-PACKfolding load compartment floor: underneath the luggage compartment there is stowage compartment with a capacity of up to 132 litres (with TIREFIT). Thanks to the EASY-PACKfolding load compartment floor, this compartment can be used in a variety of different ways by folding up the floor and adjusting it into different positions. In this way, additional vital centimetres can be gained for the load height, for example when delicate plants need to be transported in an upright position. In the case of the ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE lines, the second load level is also divided into practical compartments. In the base version, this feature is available as an optional extra in conjunction with the EASY-PACK-load-securing kit.
• EASY-PACK load compartment cover: if the tailgate is opened, the load compartment cover is automatically raised to allow unobstructed loading and unloading. When the luggage compartment is closed again, the load compartment cover automatically returns to its initial position.
• EASY-PACK rear sill protector: a protective mat, retained in place inside the load compartment floor by means of a magnetic strip, can be pulled out with the aid of a handle to cover the stainless steel boot sill and bumper shell. This helps to protect the boot sill against scratches and dirt, and also keeps clothes clean when loading. It is also very practical when putting on ski boots, for example, when on a winter holiday. This boot sill protector is available as an optional extra together with the loading rails of the EASY-PACK load-securing kit.
• EASY-PACK folding box: the folding box provided as standard has a special tailor-made compartment in all versions with a subdivided second load space level under the folding boot floor. It can be folded out in a split second, enabling smaller shopping loads to be stowed quickly and transported safely.
In addition, there is also another ingenious solution:
• EASY-PACKload-securing kit: several components, such as aluminium rails, telescopic rods and belt reels enable the luggage compartment to be divided up horizontally or diagonally. In this way, both small and large objects can be stowed practically and easy in the luggage compartment. At the same time, the load-securing kit is a reliable way to prevent items of luggage, shopping bags or other loads from moving about. The optional EASY-PACK load-securing kit also includes the boot sill protector. If individual items of the kit are not needed, they can be stored away discreetly in a storage bag in the second load level beneath the folding load compartment floor.
Source: Daimler AG